Advertisements

The Oscar Quest: Where We Are Now

Here lies the remains of what was once my Oscar Quest, my attempt to see every film ever nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress. When I first started this blog and posted this article, there were around 530 films on this list. Now look at it.

Also, if someone smart or more resourceful than I am knows where I can obtain hard copies of these films (since I know they all exist as prints at UCLA/AMPAS/Eastman House or MoMA, it would be easier on me if I could just buy a DVD/stream it online/download it. I don’t exactly take weekend jaunts up to Eastman House, you know?), let me know.

Best Actor

1927-28 – The Noose (Richard Barthelmess)

Best Director

1928-29 – Drag (Frank Lloyd)

1927-28 (Dramatic) – Sorrell and Son (Herbert Brenon)

Advertisements

8 responses

1. Michael

When you finish doing all of this, would you consider continuing and picking who your category winners would have been regardless of the nominees, as well as who you would’ve nominated that didn’t get nominated.

September 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm

2. I’m sure I’ll eventually end up doing that. Now, it sounds like too much work. But all I need to do is get the idea and start doing it, and by the time I don’t want to do it anymore I’ll already be halfway done and power through. So, yeah, I’ll probably end up doing that. Actually, it wouldn’t be so hard, since I’m already making Top Ten lists for all the years. It would actually be pretty simple. Or, at least, once I figure out my criteria, since — do I just pick favorites or try to maintain an Academy standard? There’s a lot of red tape involved there. It might end up being more trouble than it’s worth. So, we’ll see. I definitely wouldn’t rule it out. In fact, I’d expect it, knowing me.

September 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm

3. Michael Patison

I don’t know where you can find any of these, but I recently ran across another blog on just Actor and Supporting Actor. I could go and find the blog again and give you the web addres. If you want so that you can ask him.

November 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm

4. Anonymous

[video src="http://www.filefactory.com/file/5teiebqaesur/n/East.Lynne.1931.VHSRip.H264-WM.mp4" /]

Hey man, noticed you haven’t seen’ East Lynne’, so here’s a link to an MP4 copy of a near complete version ripped from an ”unofficial” VHS tape. It’s missing the last 10 minutes but its nevertheless remarkable that a copy is available outside UCLA and its surprisingly good quality.

Also, is it possible for you to point me in the right direction of where i could see ‘The Barretts of Wimpole Street’? It’s the last Best Picture nominee
    (outside obviously ‘White Parade’ and ‘The Patriot’) that I need to see.

July 26, 2013 at 2:54 pm

• Thanks for the copy. Very excited to see it.

Unfortunately, The Barretts of Wimpole Street was one of the hardest movies to find for me. I happened to get really lucky a while back, and it showed up on Youtube for about a week, and I managed to watch it before they took it down. I have a copy of most nominees, but that’s one of those ones I haven’t been able to get a hold of. The only reason I managed to find it was because, at the time, I searched Youtube every day for the films I hadn’t seen yet.

July 26, 2013 at 7:03 pm

• Jenna

Hey, B-plus, I was just wondering where and how you found all of these movies. I have Netflix, but it certainly doesn’t have all of these movies you’ve watched, and I’ve been wanting to watch a lot of them myself.

October 25, 2014 at 8:01 pm

5. You can find The Noose here-

Also, the Way Of All Flesh was not always lost, and as of 2005/2006/2007, it was still around, and in fact, if you purchases the Halliwell’s film guide 2007, you can get a review of it that might give you an idea of what it’s about- Here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halliwells-twenty-second-Halliwell-HarperCollins-Entertainment/dp/B00EKYYGCK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432235948&sr=8-2&keywords=halliwells+film+guide+2007

Also, it’s damn good to hear of your previous reply. People change quite a bit over the years.

September 9, 2015 at 11:15 am

6. If anyone has a link to East Lynne (1931) and/or Trader Horn (1931)… I’d greatly appreciate it. I’ve embarked on the Best Picture quest myself and decided to tackle the 30’s first.

January 15, 2016 at 4:32 pm