Advertisements

Oscars 2015: Annie Awards

The Annie Awards were also given out tonight. Surprise, Pixar won everything.

Inside Out won Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Voice Acting (for Sadness), Production Design, Character Animation, Music, Character Design, Editorial and Storyboarding. The only category it lost was for Animated Effects, which went to The Good Dinosaur. So Pixar swept all the Animated film categories.

The two Live-Action awards went to The Revenant, which won for Character Animation, and Avengers: Age of Ultron, which won for Animated Effects.

World of Tomorrow won for Animated Short.

So that’s what we got. Inside Out can’t lose, in case you didn’t know that already.

Advertisements

11 responses

1. Well, with Mayazaki being in retirement, Disney und Laika sitting the year out and DreamWorks having a “let’s carter to the broadest demographic and children” year, this was to be expected. The last year was of animation wasn’t quite as bad as 2013, but mostly because there weren’t many outright terrible movie. Instead we got a number of decent as well as one or two interesting ones. And Inside Out.

February 7, 2016 at 6:20 am

• From the looks of it, this year’s fixing to be worse than 2016.

February 7, 2016 at 8:58 am

• Like it or not, Disney and Pixar are the best in the business when it comes to high quality animation – and the only fixing which was ever going on at the annies was when DreamWorks threw its weight around. Tangled certainly deserved way more love than it did for its technical achievements, but instead Brave got the credit it never deserved to make up for it.

February 7, 2016 at 9:00 am

• Honestly, I don’t care how terrible the stories are and how badly they’re pandering to the broadest audience — just draw them by hand! That’s all I need. Even if all the studios put out only one per year like that. I’d be more lenient on those goddamn minions if they just drew them by hand. Seeing them be lazy in all aspects of creation of these films is really what makes me so upset about the state of animation.

February 7, 2016 at 9:57 am

• CGI is a lot of things, but it is not lazy. That is like saying that traditional animation is lazy because it doesn’t bother to painstakingly put together puppets like Stop motion does, but instead simply draws. In itself CGI is just a method of animation.

One of the problems with CGI is, though, that it has its limitations which tend to have a negative impact on the artistic aspect of a movie. But Disney has actually done a fairly good job breaking down the limitations.

I miss traditional animation (though we actually do still get one really beautiful traditional animated movie every year), and I wish that Disney would do both. But if they manage to make CGI into something more artistic, all power for them. I certainly take their offerings over yet another mediocre kiddie movie from Sony or BlueSky or any of the other animation studios who are only interested in the bottom line and not in advancing the technology.

February 7, 2016 at 10:04 am

• The medium of CGI isn’t lazy, but the way they use it is. So much of animated film now is, as you said, bottom line oriented and not artistic. I’m sick of studios skating by on inferior product because they know it’ll make money. I was so utterly offended by Minions that it really has sickened me on a lot of animation in general. Or even something like Hotel Transylvania 2. I saw that and said, “There’s kind of a story here.” But there’s no real artisanship in the animation, and the pop culture references kill any chance it had of being unique or interesting. No one’s making a story for the right reasons. And one of the only studios who was has seemingly closed its doors. I wish more people did what Wes Anderson and Charlie Kaufman did, and used animation to tell some of their stories. At least then we’d see what the better version of these films can be. But hey, there’s always Kubo. I do have one to look forward to this year.

February 7, 2016 at 10:39 am

• Oh, I certainly agree concerning the Minions (never got why this was a thing, so I do give the Despicable me movies some credit for at least trying to be creative with the character designs of not with anything else), and don’t get me started on what I think about the output of Sony Animation – this studio has to Die! Slowly! But it is not like there aren’t any lazy traditional animated movies.

Kubo is certainly one to look forward to. I have seen The little prince already (too bad, it started to well and then really went off the rails in the third act). I have the feeling that Zootopia might be good and there is naturally Moana (what? Disney is on a roll, and I really like the character designs for Moana, with the more curvy figure). Everything else though…oh, well, perhaps someone or something will surprise me down the line. (No, I don’t look forward to finding Dory).

February 7, 2016 at 12:19 pm

• I agree on The Little Prince. Completely goes crazy once she gets in the plane. Zootopia I imagine will be enjoyable but not all-time great Disney animation. Moana is the one I’m more excited about, despite my concern about the amount of racism/cultural insensitivity that’s gonna be in it (because you know there will be).

I honestly don’t care about any Pixar movie that’s a sequel at this point. After Toy Story 3, there’s almost nothing they can do with a story I’ve seen before that will make me excited about it. And from the looks of it, it’s basically all sequels for the next five years, except the Day of the Dead film they’re doing. So I can’t even look forward to anything there. And with Disney not doing anything hand-drawn, I have to look at them on a film-by-film basis. They had a nice run through Frozen, but I was not a fan of Big Hero 6. The thought of the state of animated film is really depressing to me. I just watched Kung Fu Panda 3 the other day… talk about a fun first movie that they’ve completely beaten into the ground.

February 7, 2016 at 1:00 pm

2. Well, if you go into the movie expecting cultural insensitivity, you will find it for sure.

If they do Incredible 2, I’ll be excited for it, but there are few animated movies which feel as if they should have a sequel. The Toy story franchise mostly worked because it was in a way one long story-idea which ended up getting split in three parts.

I liked Big Hero 6. It did have some problems (mainly Disney’s unwillingness to give the story the room it deserves and make a movie which is longer than 90 minutes), but the detail which went into the design of the city was incredible. I was honestly impressed. But then, I liked the animation of Frozen, too, even though I liked more or less nothing else in that movie. Though I am not surprised that you apparently liked…it was custom made to appease Disney critics with meaningless phrases while still doing what Disney always does (but doing it badly this time around).

I hope that Disney will one day do traditional animated movies again – but perhaps the pause is not the worst thing to make people appreciate more what they got in the past.

I admit, I STILL haven’t watched the Kung Fu Panda movies – because I am not into DreamWorks sense of fun, I like the studio the best when they do something which is unusual for them, like Rise of the Guardians, Prince of Egypt of Spirit.

February 7, 2016 at 1:29 pm

• I appreciate the backhanded compliment. “It was designed to appeal to people with simple tastes… so I’m not surprised you liked it.”

I fully embrace my appreciation for that movie. Though I’m also aware the whole is less than the sum of its parts. I don’t care. I just don’t think about it. It’s like Marvel. I can see a Marvel movie and go, “Okay, that was fine.” And then when I think about it, I start to poke holes in it and don’t like it anymore. Jurassic World was another one. I loved that movie in the theater. Then I started talking about it with other people and realized that if I kept talking, I’d talk myself into hating it.

I don’t think the pause will make people appreciate anything. People will eat up whatever they’re given.

Kung Fu Panda… it’s fine. The thing with Dreamworks is, anytime they give you something marginally good, they then beat it into the ground with endless sequels. I actually liked How to Train Your Dragon… and then they made a sequel and TV spinoffs, and I don’t even want to see anything else they make with those characters.

February 7, 2016 at 1:43 pm

• I didn’t say simple, I said it was made to appease the critics of Disney. They were deliberately addressing all the complains they had about the Disney Princess franchise. (Frozen was a really big disappointed for me overall, the moment I saw it in theatres).

Well, would Star Wars still that big of a franchise if they had churned out movie after movie from the get go? Would Jurassic World have worked that well if it hat hit the theatres ten years ago? I don’t think so. Sometime absence does make the heart grow fonder.

The upside in all this is that due to Disney’s absence, there are a number of smaller projects with traditional animation in the works which would have never gotten any attention otherwise.

February 7, 2016 at 1:54 pm